Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Dance

Traveling around Beijing was very interesting. Picture bikes and motor-scooters, buses and cars and even the occasional horse and cart, all intertwined with people on their way someplace, all sharing the same small piece of road. What struck me the most was the trust each showed in the other. Everyone seemed to know the rules of how to operate, and it just worked. I included this two minute clip to show you a little of what I mean.

Also, there was very little 'road rage'. The horns never stopped blowing, but it was more of an "excuse me" than an "up yours" kind of horn. I couldn't help but laugh the first night back in Omaha when someone gave me the bird for merging on Q street due to construction. Apparently they felt I was unjustly trying to get in front of them. Normally that kind of thing would hack me off, but that night it just made me laugh.

No comments: